NATIVE AMERICAN FLUTE FORUM
Spirit of a Flute Maker: A Conversation with Scott Loomis
By John Sarantos

Originally Published in "Voice of the Wind", April 1999

Spirit of a Flute Maker: A Conversation with Scott Loomis
  Page #7 of 7

John: Besides creating the flutes, what other joys does your job as a flute maker bring to you?

Scott: One of the major joys of this work is the people that I come into contact with, and I've made a lot of friends, associates through this flute. And I've come to appreciate the things that they bring to this world.

John: The flute seems to bring a lot of people together. That's part of the magic of the flute; the way it brings people together. At all of the flute workshops I've been to, there is an instant bonding with everyone. And people do stay in contact with each other after the workshops are over.

Scott: It's a great support group. (laughter)
     And that's another thing that concerns me. The misuse of the beauty and magic of the flute. The other day a man called up and he ordered a flute from me, and he said, "Oh, by the way, and I hope you're not offended by this, but I would just like to ask you something." I said, "No, what? Go ahead." "Do you pray over your flutes while you are making them?"  I go, "Wait a minute." This is something that I have a hard time with. A sacred object is not sacred in and of itself. It's made sacred by the person who is using it as a sacred object. I don't make sacred flutes. Like I said before, I prepare myself to make a good flute, but you make the flute sacred. When you pick the flute up and it speaks to you in a sacred way, then it becomes sacred in that way. You make it close to you. You make it part of yourself, I don't. As a flute maker I don't do that. As a flute maker I can only have high integrity in my work when I make it.

Scott and I sat in silence for awhile. We got up, turned out the lights of the shop and walked back to his house. I spent the night during which there was a tremendous rain storm that continued into the morning.  Scott said he wished that the rain would stop so he could show me a special place on his property. As I loaded my car, the rain stopped. We walked to his special place and I as I gifted the spot with a flute song, the sun came out. After I finished my song, Brutus came over and placed his head on my leg.
     Scott then took me on a walk around his 27 acres. I couldn't help but feel Scott's gentle spirit glowing as he shared stories and showed me places where different friends had camped on his property. Scott Loomis' spirit is not only in his flutes, it is all around him and the people, animals and nature that he comes into contact with. I left Scott's place feeling excited about being alive. Thanks, Scott.

PREVIOUS PAGE

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7

Copyright 1999 John Sarantos
Updated April 18, 1999 by LH
All rights reserved

Do you have questions about caring for or playing your Native American flute? We"d love to hear from you. Email: webmaster@loomisflute.com

Copyright 1998 - 2010 by Linda Hugle
All rights reserved

Updated December 2009 - catNcap Enterprises